Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Charlie is Sick


Charlie
Earlier this week, I was surprised to see Charlie actually have an accident at home.  Worse is that he actually did it beside me without me noticing it!  I was so mad at him because he is completely toilet trained and never had accidents before, maybe one or two but only pee and not poop!  I scolded him right after "catching him in the act" and told him not to do it again.  However, he did it again on the same day after a few minutes and that is when I noticed that his poop was actually very loose and watery then I it just hit me big time that my little booger is sick and has diarrhea.  I was so ashamed of myself of having scolded the little booger without actually having realized that it wasn't really his fault at all. He was sick and he could not keep it in himself anymore.  I mean hey, even us humans cannot contain our poops if we have diarrhea.

I went online immediately and look for things and home remedies for dogs with diarrhea.  I was so relieved to know that it is self limiting and will not a visit to the Vet except when the poop is foul smelling (I mean really, really foul) and has blood and/or worms.  I was so glad Charlie's is nothing close to these. 

Anyhow, the first thing to do when your doggy gets an upset stomach is to fast him for 24 hours - meaning the poor thing should not eat for one day (yes you've read it right - one whole day).  Make sure that the doggy has a supply of fresh and clean water.  You can add a bit of Probiotics or rehydration salts just to keep him hydrated.  Do not give any medication unless prescribed by the Vet!  The danger of overdosage is high so you'd better leave it to the experts.  After 24 hours, you can start feeding your dog with boiled white rice with chicken stock and shredded chicken meat without the skin in a few amount.  I added a bit of salt for added taste.  As an alternative, you could also give your doggy white rice plus sauteed minced beef without the fat/oil.  Remember to give food only in small amounts two or three times a day for three days.  When the stool starts to firm up a bit, you can gradually add his regular dog food to the white rice + chicken or white rice + beef combination until such time that his tummy is again ready for his regular doggy treats. 

I am so glad that my Charlie is better now.  Oh before I forget, make sure to give your doggies a lot of tender love and kisses.  I am pretty sure that these can make them even better and recover faster.

No comments :

Post a Comment